Peer Reviewed Conference Presentations (* = student. First author was the presenter unless otherwise stated)
28. *T. Barnett, *H. Qadoumi, J. Haelssig, J.R. Pierce, *J.E. Franklin, A.J. Wheeler, S.E. Craig, *C. Wilson, *E. Patrick, Gibson, M.D. (2015). A comparison of four receptor models for the source apportionment of PM2.5 in Halifax, Nova Scotia during the BORTAS-B experiment. European Aerosol Conference, Milan, Italy, September 6th - 11th 2015. Poster ID:3SSA_P015, Special session: Source apportionment. Thursday, September 10, 2015.
27. Gibson M.D., Pierce J., Duck, T., Hopper, J., Beauchamp, .S, Waugh, D., Kuchta, J., Haelssig, J., Ward, T. (2014) Wildfire smoke contribution to surface PM2.5 in Halifax, Nova Scotia during the BORTAS-B experiment. National Smoke Forum, Wildland Fire Canada Conference. Halifax, October 10, 2014.
26. Johnson M, Sun L, Davidson A, Saikali E, Zhang JY, Gibson M.D. (2013) Modelling the Spatial Distribution of Industrial and Traffic Pollution Mixtures across Canada. International Society for Environmental Epidemiology (ISEE), International Society of Exposure Science (ISES) and International Society of Indoor Air Quality (ISIAQ) Joint Conference, August 19-23, Basel, Switzerland (pdf).
25. Gibson, M.D., (invited speaker), Pierce, J., Kuchta, J., Duck, T.J., Hopper, J., Beauchamp, S., Waugh, D., King, G.H., Leaitch, R., Ward, T.J., Palmer, P. (2013) Source apportionment of PM2.5 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada during the BORTAS project. 59th International Conference on Analytical Sciences and Spectroscopy (ICASS) June 26 – 28, 2013, Grand Lodge Mont-Tremblant, Montreal, Québec (ppt).
24. Gibson, M.D., Kuchta, J., Chisholm, L., Duck, T., Hopper, J., Beauchamp, S., Waugh, D., King, G., Pierce, J., Li, Z., Leaitch, R., Ward, T.J., Haelssig, J. and Palmer, P.I. (2013) Source apportionment of speciated PM2.5 over Halifax, Nova Scotia, during BORTAS-B, using pragmatic mass closure and principal component analysis. Geophysical Research Abstracts Vol. 15, EGU2013-1604-2, 2013 EGU General Assembly, Vienna, 7-12 April 2013 (presentation).
23. G.H. King.*, Gibson, M.D., J. Kuchta, S. Beauchamp, C. Stroud, E. Blanchard, D. Henderson, D.Steeves, B. Appleby, M. Howe (2013) Monitoring and model verification of the Air Quality Health Index in Northern New Brunswick using passive and active samplers. Environmental Health 2013. Science and Policy to Protect Future Generations 3rd - 6th March 2013, Boston, USA.
22. Toganassova, D.*, Gibson, M.D., Kuchta, J., King., G.H., Pierce, J. (2013) Source apportionment of summertime PM2.5 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, 2011. Environmental Health 2013. Science and Policy to Protect Future Generations. 3rd - 6th March 2013, Boston, USA.
21. Gibson, M.D., Kuchta, J., Chisholm, L., Duck, T., Hopper, J., Beauchamp, S., Waugh, D., King, G, Pierce, J., Wheeler, A.J., Palmer, P .(2012) The use of receptor modelling for estimating summer time PM2.5 exposure in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, 2011. 22nd International Society of Exposure Science, October 28-November 1, 2012, Seattle, Washington, USA.
20. Gibson, M.D., Liu, L., Mallach, G., Kuchta, J., Kauri, L.M., Goldberg, M., Wang, D., Wheeler, A.J. (2012) The use of PMF receptor modelling for estimating children’s personal exposure to indoor/outdoor sources of volatile organic compounds in Montreal, Canada. 22nd International Society of Exposure Science, October 28-November 1, 2012, Seattle, Washington, USA.
19. Gibson, M.D., Rainham, D., Guernsey, J.R., McSweeney, J. (2012) Using Global Positioning System Data Loggers to Measure Personal Exposure to PM2.5 in Urban and Rural Environments. 22nd International Society of Exposure Science, October 28-November 1, 2012, Seattle, Washington, USA.
18. Craig, S.E., Jones, C. T., Thomas, H., Gibson, M.D., Sheng, J., Hu, C., Cannizzaro, J., Feng, L., Le, C., Carlson, P., Greenan, B., Li, W.K.W. (2012) Derivation of inherent optical properties in optically complex coastal waters. Plenary Talk, Ocean Optics Conference, 2012. Glasgow, Scotland, October 7 to 12, 2012.
17. Gibson, M.D. (invited speaker), James Kuchta, Lucy Chisholm, Tom Duck, Richard Leaitch, Jason Hopper, Stephen Beauchamp, David Waugh, Gavin King, Jeffrey Pierce, David Oram and Paul Palmer. (2012) Receptor modelling of surface atmospheric particulate matter in support of aircraft measurements of Boreal forest fire smoke outflow over Eastern Canada during the summer of 2011. 46th CMOS congress Montreal, May 29 to June 1, 2012. (pdf)
16. Rahman, A.A., Gibson, M.D., Lopata, A., Helleur, R. (2012) Simultaneous determination of snow crab major aeroallergens (tropomyosin and arginine kinase) in crab and shrimp processing plants and fishing vessels using tandem mass spectrometry. 30th International Congress on Occupational Health. March 20, 2012, Cancun, Mexico. Abstract No.: SS051.2-7.
15. Johnson, M., Mallach, G., Kulka, R., Dietz, R., Wilkie, R., Gibson, M.D., Wallace, L., Özkaynak, H., Williams, R., Wheeler, A.J., Van Ryswyk, K., Heroux, M-E. (2011) Assessment of air pollution and air exchange in an urban residential high-rise building. 21st Annual Conference of the International Society of Exposure Science, Baltimore, US, October 23-27, 2011.
14. Gibson, M.D., David Waugh, Doug Steves, Dave Henderson, Judy Guernsey, Matt Seaboyer, James Kuchta, Gavin King (presenter), Neil Brewster, Dave Stieb, Amanda Wheeler, Richard Gould, Marie-ÈveHéroux, Keith Van Ryswyk. (2011) Quantifying the variation of the AQHI in urban Halifax and the rural Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada. CMOS 2011 Congress, Victoria, BC, June 6 – 9, 2011.
13. Wheeler, A.J., Gibson, M.D. (presenter), Ward, T.J., Allen, R.W., Guernsey, J.R., Seaboyer, M., Kuchta, J., Gould, R. and Stieb, D.M. (2011) Reductions in Residential Wood Smoke Concentrations and Infiltration Efficiency using Electrostatic Air Cleaner Interventions. Paper, 12th International Conference on Indoor Air, Austin Texas. June 5 – 10, 2011.
12. Kundu, S., Mysore, S., Gibson, M.D. (2011) Study of dispersion patterns for Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx) from major industrial and automobile sources in Nova Scotia, Canada. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) National Air Quality Conferences. San Diego, California, March 7-10, 2011.
11. Dohoo, C., VanLeeuwen, J., Guernsey, J.R., Gibson, M.D., Critchley, K. (2010) "Impact of Biogas Digesters On Health and Quality of Life Measures of Kenyan Farmwomen.” Canadian Conference on Global Health. Ottawa, Canada. October 31, 2010.
10. Gibson, M.D. (expert panel presenter), Judy Guernsey, Tony Ward, Amanda Wheeler, David M. Stieb. (2010) Woodsmoke Source Apportionment, Home Infiltration and HEPA Filter Intervention Assessment in the Rural Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada. 2010 International Society for Exposure Science Conference, Seoul, South Korea, August 28 - September 1, 2010. Symposium: Woodsmoke Exposure and Health Effects in Developed Countries.
9. Gibson, M.D. (expert panel presenter), Tony Ward, Judy Guernsey, Amanda Wheeler, and Dave M. Stieb. (2010) Woodsmoke source apportionment and home infiltration study in the Rural Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada. Air & Waste Management’s 103rd Annual Conference & Exhibition, Calgary June 22-25, 2010.
8. Gibson, M.D., Tony Ward, Amanda Wheeler, Judy Guernsey, David M. Stieb. (2010) Woodsmoke source apportionment in the Rural Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada. 93rd Canadian Chemistry Conference, Toronto, May 29-June 2, 2010.
7. Gibson, M.D., Guernsey, J.R., Parsons, M., Knafla, T., White, L., Dabek, E., King, G.H. (2009) Off-site fate and transport of airborne arsenic-laden PM2.5 from a historic gold mine tailings site to nearby properties in Nova Scotia. Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society (CMOS), 43rd Annual Congress, May 31 to June 4, 2009, Halifax, NS. Session: Air Quality.
6. Gibson, M.D., Guernsey, J.R., Beauchamp, S., Waugh, D., Heal, M.R., Brook, J., Maher, R., Gagnon, G.A., Gould, R., Bryden, B., McPherson, J. (2008) Air Quality and Health Research in Nova Scotia. 6th International Symposium, Public Health and the Agricultural Rural Ecosystem. Saskatoon, October 19 – 23, 2008.
5. Gibson, M.D. (Invited Speaker), Guernsey, J.R., Brook, J.R., Beauchamp, S., Waugh, D., Maher, R., McPherson, J., Bryden, B., Gould, R., Gagnon, G., Terashima, M. (2008) Quantifying the spatial and temporal variation of ground-level ozone in the Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada using nitrite-impregnated passive samplers. Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society (CMOS), 42nd Annual Congress, May 26, 2008, Kelowna, BC. Session: Air Quality in Valleys.
4. Lauhachinda N, Udomchoke V, Songsasean A, Homchan U, Piwapornkupt P, Suntharnranun P, McGilligan J.F, Keenan H.E, Gibson M.D., Gibson G, Gaines A.F. (2007) The Environment of Thai-Laos Mekong River (2001-2004). International Conference on “Mekong Research for the people of the Mekong” 18-21 October 2007, Dusit Island Resort, Chiang Rai, Thailand.
3. Gibson, M.D., Bache, D.H. Hursthouse, A.S., Beverland, I.J. and Heal, M. (2005) Source apportionment of PM10 in Glasgow. 3rd Asian Pacific International Conference on Pollutants Analysis and Control, December 2 – 15, 2005, Bangkok, Thailand.
2. Udomchoke, V., Songsasen, A., Homchan, U., Phanwichien, K., Jiwapornkupt, P., Sunthoraranun, P., Lauchinda, N., McGilligan, J.F., Keenan, H.E., Gibson, M.D., Gibson, G.W. and Gaines, A. (2005) The Thai-Laos Mekong River: Environment and the Health of Fish (2001-2004), 3rd Asian Pacific International Conference on Pollutants Analysis and Control, December 2 – 15, 2005, Bangkok, Thailand.
1. Gibson, M.D., Bache, D.H., Grimason, A.M. and Hursthouse, A.S. (2002) Progress on source apportionment of PM10’s. University of Ulster, Northern Ireland, 5th National Graduate/Post Graduate Research Conference on Environmental Health Protection and Safety. April 11, 2002.